Friday, May 28, 2010

The Chef Next Door: EXPRESS!

So unbeknownst to me, when you start a business, lots of people are out to get you.  More specifically, they are out to get your MONEY.  After almost being suckered into 2 different "support your local fire department/baseball team and get tons of advertising in return" scams, I am VERY skeptical to answer my phone anymore.  If a number comes across that does not have a (205) or (256) area code, it is automatically rejected.  (I may answer a Tennessee area code once in a while.)   Well, last week, I received a call from Canada.  Yep, you guessed it: IGNORED.  No way was I going to listen to some clown from Canada try to sell me some advertising space on a Baseball poster.  Not interested.   Surprise surprise, they left a voicemail.   It started off like all the rest.

"Hi, Margaret.  My name is ____ _____ and I'm with the company ________."

I started to pull the phone away from my ear to delete the message before having to hear any more nonsense, but then I heard one tiny bit.....

"I'm calling about your pre-made meals for a friend of mine..."

Wow, could it be? A real person with a real interest in my services?  Yes it was!  A man from Canada had googled "pre-made dinners in Huntsville" and came across my website.  Turns out, a friend of his who lives down here in Alabama just had a baby, and as good friends often do, he wanted to send a bunch of meals to his friend and his new family.   So, The Chef Next Door's EXPRESS catering is officially off the ground.  I created an email gift certificate which he sent to his friend, his friend called me to redeem the gift certificate and custom-create his meals...and the rest is history.  If you or anyone you know in the Tennessee Valley is in need of some gourmet pre-made meals, give me a shout!  If you've got a weird area code........well, just be sure to leave a message. :)  Here are the meals I made for the friend and his new lovely family.


Chilled Sesame Shrimp and Noodle Salad
with Green Onions, Cherry Tomatoes, and Salted Cashews


Cornmeal Crusted Fried Shrimp and Spicy Andouille Jambalaya
served with Creole Remoulade and Green Onions on the side


Classic Homemade Lasagna
served with Parmesan Garlic Bread


Deep Dish Mexican Pizza with a Cheesy Cornbread "Crust"
served with Cilantro Sour Cream, Salsa, and Black Olives on the side


Grilled NY Strip Steak with Crumbled Blue Cheese on the side
served with Whipped Sweet Potatoes and Steamed Broccoli


Mom's Creamy Chicken Pasta Salad
with slivered Almonds and Purple Grapes


Artichoke and Grilled Chicken Casserole
with a Sherry cream sauce over Mushroom Consumme Rice


Barbecue Grilled Chicken Breasts with Honey BBQ and BBQ Ranch Sauce on the side
served with Ranch Mashed Potatoes and Roasted Asparagus



Cheers,

The Chef Next Door

No comments:

Post a Comment