Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Kathryn and Steve Powers Birthday Dinner Party

Well, the minute I go belly-aching that I don't get to do as many dinner parties as I'd like, I get THREE in a month! So here is the third one.....

Kathryn Powers and her husband Steve normally do all their own cooking for their dinner parties (they even specially ordered Foie Gras for a dinner one time!), but this time, for Steve's birthday, they both just wanted to chill and enjoy the dinner without bustling around in the kitchen the whole time.  So, you guessed it...they called ME! We decided on a menu, they set the table, ordered some beautiful flower arrangements, chilled several bottles of champagne, and there you have it.  A beautiful evening was born.

Now I pride myself on being able to do fabulous events without much help.  Taylor definitely chips in on the planning and prep work and makes sure I cover all my bases, but unless I absolutely cannot MANAGE without him, I go to my catering events alone. (Makes me look like a total rockstar!! haha)  But for dinner parties, unless they are for two or four people, I really need an extra set of hands.  There's just no way around it. It doesn't look good to be trotting back and forth carrying plates to and from the table, while trying to cook the food, plate the food, take photos of the food, refill their drinks, yadda yadda yadda.  So, this time, I asked my dear, dear friend, Heather Peterson (Owner and Cake Artist of Slice at a Time Cakes) to come with me and act as my server!  She is a natural, and helped me with everything from plating to cleaning dishes to taking beautiful photographs with her PROFESSIONAL camera! So without further adue, here are the beautiful photographs of the dinner party.

The gorgeous table
Beautiful flower arrangements
First Course: 
Berries and Blue Salad with Strawberries, 
dried Cranberries, crumbled Blue Cheese, 
Sweet 'n Spicy Pecans, 
and Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette 
(everyone chooses this salad!)
 Second Course: 
Southern Shrimp and Cheddar Cheese Grits 
with sauteed Mushrooms, slivered Scallions, 
diced Tomato, crumbled Bacon, 
and a creamy Lemon pan sauce
Main Course: 
Grilled Filet Mignon and Butter-poached Lobster Tail 
with Garlic whipped Potatoes, 
flame-grilled Asparagus, 
Balsamic Demi Glace and classic Bernaise Sauce
Fourth Course: 
Vanilla Almond Panna Cotta with marinated Berries, 
Blackberry and Raspberry Couli, Chocolate Ganache, 
and Vanilla Tuiles

Every plate was licked clean, every bottle was drained, and every guest was happy and satisfied. Thanks to Heather for coming along to help, and thank you, Kathryn and Steve, for allowing me to cater this spectacular event!

Cheers,

The Chef Next Door

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is so adorable! I love all the pictures! looks so delish!

    ReplyDelete